The series and feature film about the reserve “Kuril” will be released before the end of 2017.
Great spotted Kingfisher. (Photo: Igor Byshnev.)
ENTURY – the seals on the Kuril island of Kunashir. (Photo: Igor Byshnev.)
Swallowtail Maak. (Photo: Igor Byshnev.)
White-tailed eagle. (Photo: Igor Byshnev.)
Fish owl. (Photo: Igor Byshnev.)
Pacific Guillemot. (Photo: Igor Byshnev.)
The Volcano A Tyatya. (Photo: Igor Byshnev.)
For the second consecutive year in the reserve “Kuril” has a team of professional operators of the Belarusian film Studio AVES – Igor and Nikita Buchnevich. Last year journalists were shot seven scenes for the program “a Million questions about nature” of the TV channel “MIR”. Plans this year are larger – to continue to shoot TV spots and begin work on a feature documentary film about Kuril Islands .
About crane loyalty, prying the Kuril bears ‘hunting’ swallowtail and many other things in interview to the press service of the reserve told the artistic Director of the Studio Igor Byshnev.
– Please tell us about yourself and your team.
– Our team – combining a variety of experts in the field of nature photography. Now the crew consists of three people, is the professional cameramen and photographers: we, Igor and Nikita Vyshnevy, and Dmitry Yakubovich. I shots of nature doing all my life; two years ago we together with my wife Natalia Teterevsky created his own Studio AVES.
This year we are shooting not only a series of programmes for TV and radio company “Mir” for the unit “Reserved Russia”, but also working on a feature documentary film with the working title “the Kuril Islands – life on the edge of the world”. All materials must be ready in 2017, as this is the year of the 100th anniversary of the protected area system of Russia.
You on Kunashir for the second time, than the expedition this year different from last year?
– Last year the weather conditions had 8 from 15 days to spend on the island, and only a week on Kunashir. And all the time it was raining and only one day was Sunny. This year the weather was great, arrived on time, had a lot of Sunny days, and managed to remove almost everything thought of. The rest will have to come back.
– How did you prepare for the expedition, all we have been able to provide?
– This year we are forwarding a series of expeditions one after the other. To the Kuril Islands was prepared separately purchased special equipment that allows you to use a night light and perform time-lapse video. Such imagery allows viewers to consider the characteristics of the behavior of animals, movement of plants, natural phenomena (rain, waves). The last working trip to the Absheron national Park (Azerbaijani) some action has damaged the cubs, Jackal and black-winged stilt, had to repair the equipment before the trip to the far East.
– What do you like most about the reserve?
– We were impressed by many places, but the problem is that due to time constraints, we will not manage to come back again. For us Kunashir – a vivid mosaic of landscapes and encounters with animals and plants. Cordon Andreevskiy has become our home, where we came last year and returned again and again, like home. We helped the reserve staff, they have become real participants in the shooting, along with our crew.
– Was there during the filming of any interesting or funny cases?
– Nikita experimenting with shooting animals with a camera. Usually animals are frightened of this equipment, but after a while can get used. Now we are trying not to land on the top and directly to animals – then they start to behave more naturally. We had a chance to see the dance of Japanese cranes very close to remove sea otters and Japanese cormorants going about their business, and the bear even tried to ward off persistent white “Hummer”. This is all very interesting.
– Tell us about your “actors”-animals, especially about their shooting.
– Some animals behave partly like human beings. So, on the set of tagging Japanese crane was very touching to see how the male cares for the female. However, he patiently hatch eggs while his friend returns to the nest.
It was difficult to remove and fish owls. We were not supposed to be too Intrusive. We had originally planned to attach the camera to the socket and remove the process of feeding nestlings near the tree. It almost did not bother the birds, as the shooting would be done remotely. But the Chicks have grown and left the nest earlier than expected. Adult eagle owls did not want to feed them at dusk, when it was a little light for cameras to shoot from afar, and only with the onset of complete darkness. And we refused to shoot with the backlight near the hollow, so as not to disturb them.
Still we long wanted to make a swallowtail Maak, but it was cool, and the butterflies were rare. On the penultimate day of our stay on Kunashir bright sun was shining on the slopes of the crater Tate Brave magnificent swallowtail long teased us by flying back and forth over the slag fields. When we are tired of chasing him, he sat down on one of the glades and let you shoot all angles.
Adorable animals, the otter. We wanted to see them in the wild and to capture on video, and now the dream has come true. A group of sea otters with babies and a couple in love – they will all be included in the new film.
– Being born to your stories?
– The plot is thought out before the beginning of the film, but it is clarified on the spot. Before arriving, we study the nature of the place in literature, are charged with people, find out who and where you can meet at this time.
– How much time it takes to prepare one plot, how many people working on it?
– In each case in different ways. For shooting on the lesser Kuril ridge were involved many people, expensive sea transport, specially selected weather conditions. And, for example, for filming a large piebald Kingfisher just one man though and very patient. In any case, the video take more time and money than still photography, so the production of films – it is expensive, complex, requires high professionalism and skills of team work.
– Are you planning to come back to Kunashir, to visit other Islands?
– We plan. Large separate story – the Small Kuril ridge. We were only there for 15 hours, and during that time became convinced that there is something to remove and something to watch. Areas of the reserve on a Small ridge – a separate world, tiny but filled with a turbulent life of the Islands in the ocean. I would like to remove some movies about Japanese cranes and fish-owls, and about the Kuril bears.
For us, each specially protected natural area – not only nature, but also the history of the place (including geological survey of centuries and millennia), and the culture and traditions of people who live here. In the case of the Kuril Islands would be included in the film information about the peoples who once lived on the Islands, and about the Russian discoverers of this land.
– What are protected areas of Russia you still dream to visit?
– We have scheduled shooting in the Astrakhan nature reserve and in the Caucasus. Next year I’d love to remove other specially protected natural territories of the Sakhalin region, Primorye, Russia – the tundra and the Arctic.
– In the centenary year of the protected area system in Russia that you wish to reserve “Kuril”?
Kuril Islands are amazing and attractive for nature lovers. I want them to stay that way as long as possible. But that’s only possible if people learn to find harmony with the surrounding nature, because without nature people cannot exist. Nature is doing everything to save yourself, do not just get in her way. Therefore, we wish to reserve “Kuril” and other nature reserves and protected areas to have more defenders and all other people that support and understand the importance of their mission in the preservation of peace on the planet Earth.
According to the press service of the reserve “Kuril”.